Sunday, February 17, 2008

Improvements

No Credit Needed asked the question “What one area of your personal finance management would you like to improve?”

The one area of my financial life that I would like to improve is the amount we spend on food. Our family of four spends $900 a month on food. Gasp! Isn’t that insane? That is made up of $500 a month at the grocery store, $200 a month eating out as a family, and $100 a month each for me and my husband for lunches during the week. I would like to note that the grocery money also buys all our paper goods and cleaning supplies.

This past month I tried to cut back on the eating out and it totally backfired. Normally I eat lunch out twice during the week, then as a family we eat out twice on the weekends. That is our routine and it has worked for us for a long time. But I decided we needed to cut back. We did good for about a week and then I went crazy and we ate out three extra times. So I ruined the good I had done, plus a little extra. It’s the 17th and there is only $13 left in the eating out budget. Not good.

I just don’t have control of myself in this area. I don’t know why. Obviously, if it came to paying the bills or eating out I would be able to make the sacrifice, but it’s the first place I spend any extra money. When I am restricting myself from eating out I feel poor. It makes me hate my budget, so I just throw it out the window.

"Maybe the most any of us can expect of ourselves isn't perfection, but progress."~ unknown

No comments: