Wednesday, March 26, 2008

How much are memories worth?

I want to get some professional pictures taken of my son. He turned two about two months ago and I feel guilty that I haven’t taken him. I’ve succumbed to the sales pitches of what it means to be a good mom. I’m not a fit parent unless I have a picture of my kid standing next to a big plastic number 2. It sounds stupid, I know. But gosh darn, they are just so cute!

I’ve had a coupon stuck to my fridge for the past three months for no sitting fee and various other savings. I just can’t seem to justify spending the money. It’s not like I don’t have a gazillion other pictures of him. We even had to buy an external hard drive just to keep them all on the computer. But still, I want professional pictures taken of him at each birthday.

Part of my guilt is that I have them of my daughter. I faithfully took her every year, even when I was only making $7,000 annually. That means I spent almost a week’s pay to get her pictures taken. And now I can’t find the money, even though it’s now a small fraction of a week’s pay. Oh the guilt!

I had decided I wasn’t going to take him. The coupon expires at the end of March and I don’t have the money. So I thought it was finished. But then the guilt came back over me. I thought about how if I don’t do it now I will lose this chance forever. So, I took him to get his haircut so he looks nice for his photo shoot today.

I feel good about taking him. I decided I would rather regret spending the money than regret not getting the pictures taken. I can always earn more money but I will never again be able to have pictures taken of my two-year old little boy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Memories are very important. Our mother was a really good photographer and she took thousands of pictures of us when we were little. She always told us that if the house ever caught fire, the most important things to grab were the photos which she had organized in boxes. (She passed away before the digital age and photo CDs.)

Speaking of photo CDs, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have all the pictures backed up on CDs and put in a safe deposit box, because I think the lifelong memories are worth the cost of the safe deposit box.

But we lost some of our old photos by accident once when we were moving, and even in our twenties, we regret the loss.

Just out of curiosity, how much did this photo shoot cost? Was it a really fancy professional portrait studio? The PictureMe Portrait Studios that operate out of WalMart have a portrait package for $6.99, which sounds pretty affordable, (though I don't know how good they are.)

Anonymous said...

I ended up spending about $60. I have been to walmart before and wasn't thrilled with the results and I think we still spent about $50. I go to sears now and I love them, but I have to have a coupon.