Monday, March 3, 2008

Watch your staples!

Like everyone else, I have about 20 or so things I buy every week at the grocery store. When I first started shopping at my local grocery store I looked at all the prices of each individual thing and picked the item with the best value. For example, my husband really likes the gourmet bread but it’s pretty pricey compared to the regular sliced bread. So I’ve been buying a cheaper “middle of the road” version. It’s the same story on pretty much every other staple in our house. I get the cheapest milk, cheese, eggs, pasta, orange juice, ect.

Or so I thought.

Over the years the prices on these items has really crept up. But since these are things I buy every week without thinking about it I really hadn’t noticed. This weekend I realized that my “middle of the road” bread had gone up a whole dollar. I have no idea when this happened but now it’s more expensive than the fancy bread my husband likes.

It’s so sneaky. The only reason I even noticed was because I sent my husband to the store to buy a few little things that we needed and he pointed it out. Since he doesn’t do the shopping most weeks he didn’t take the prices for granted. He was actually looking, rather than grabbing things off the shelf without even slowing down.

So today when I go out to do our weekly shopping I will be looking at every price and making sure I really am getting the best value. I challenge you to do the same. Goodness knows I will be getting a different brand of bread.

*Picture by Ratterrell*



1 comment:

tpt63 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.