Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Frugal Eats: Garlic Lime Chicken

Here is a recipe for Garlic Lime Chicken. It's super flavorful and really quick and easy to make. I've calculated the cost to be $10.09 for 6 servings. Or $1.68 per serving. One thing I like about this recipe is that you can make as little or as much as you like. The recipe is intended to make 6 servings but if there are only two of you, you can just cook two servings. Sometimes it's good not to have leftovers.

When I make the spice mixture I make a quadruple batch and keep the extra in a little Tupperware container in my spice cabinet. That way I have it on hand all ready to go. It makes this recipe really easy to just whip up in about 15 minutes. I usually serve it with mashed potatoes. I like to get a bite of chicken along with a bite of potatoes together on my fork... MMMMM.

Garlic Lime Chicken
Serves 6

  • 1 teaspoon salt (less than a penny)
  • 1 teaspoon pepper (.07)
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (.11)
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika (.04)
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder (.03)
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder(.02)
  • 1/2 teaspoon thyme (.26)
  • 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (9.00)
  • 2 tablespoons butter (.05)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil (.20)
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth (.04)
  • 4 tablespoons lime juice (.27)

In a bowl, mix together first 7 ingredients. Sprinkle mixture on both sides of chicken breasts.

In a skillet heat butter and olive oil together over medium high heat. Saute chicken until golden brown, about 5 minutes on each side. Turn down the heat, remove the chicken (keeping warm) and add the lime juice and chicken broth to the pan, whisking up the browned bits off the bottom of the skillet. Keep cooking until sauce has reduced slightly. Add chicken back to the pan to thoroughly coat and serve.

1 comment:

"Future Millionaire" said...

ooo - another good recipe. I'm really enjoying this new series, its helping me spice up my usual meal plans.