My husband and I sat down yesterday and really looked at our upcoming budgets and came to a stark conclusion. Assuming no changes we are going to be about $6,000 short for the year. We keep a short-term savings account to cover us in the months when overtime is short. We have enough in there right now to get us through September if my husband doesn’t get any overtime and no major expenses creep in. Major expenses would be those that are over about $300 or so.
If we had an additional $750 a month we would have enough to make it through until the end of the year. We are not willing to cut our budget any further and I certainly am not willing to go into debt or use our emergency fund in order to pay for our everyday living expenses. So we need more income, it’s the only answer. If the overtime isn’t coming then I need to get a job. Not the worst option in the world, I know. I really don’t mind that much for myself. But I hate that it will affect my family.
If the overtime would pick up at my husband’s job we would be doing quite a bit better. What really stinks is that if I get a job it then cuts into his ability to work over time. So it’s kind of a tough call. The longer we wait though the more per month I’m going to have to earn to cover us. I don’t want to "wait and see" or it’s possible that I will have to work full time come September and I really don’t want to do that.
We haven’t come to any final decisions yet. It’s hard to talk with the kids going in every direction, but I think I will start looking around and see what options are available.
*picture by Wade