Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Work from home

Remember the talk about me getting a job? Well, I think I have found a good solution for us. There are a few companies that allow you to take customer service calls from home. A good friend of mine works for two of them. Normally, I wouldn’t be interested in a non-conventional job like this, but I know two people who are doing it and making money. So I’m going to trust it and see how it goes.

I don’t know all the exact details but it seems pretty flexible as far as setting your own schedule. Which is key since I want to be able to spend time with the kids and allow my husband the freedom to work as much overtime as he wants. Plus the draw of no commute is a real bonus. I will actually be getting paid for every minute I’m away from the family and no gas wasted.

I don’t know about the money yet. It’s not 100% clear because it depends on what types of calls you take and then it pays for each minute you are on a call, so if you aren’t getting back to back calls then you aren’t making as much money as you could be. So it’s hard say, but I know they have to pay at least minimum wage. Which for the flexibility I’m getting I’m willing to give it a shot.

Another great bonus is that you only have to take 2 calls every 60 days to stay employed. So if things pick up at my husband’s job I can easily keep this option open for the future. Besides, I've done plenty of call center work in my life, I know I can take these calls in my sleep.

The bad part is that you have to have a phone line dedicated just to taking these calls. Which costs us $20 a month. But I'm getting over that by telling myself that all jobs have costs. Spending nothing on commuting will make up for this extra phone line.

So that’s the plan. I applied today so I’ll let you all know how it goes.

Picture by Vince Welter


No comments: