Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Frugal Eats: Marinara Sauce

I don’t have a picture of this but I’m pretty sure you know what Marinara sauce looks like. I love this sauce, it’s so easy to make and you can keep everything you need on hand. Which I also love. I don’t know how many servings are in a container of dried herbs, so I guessed. Therefore, I probably over estimated the cost but I came up with $2.53.

Marinara Sauce

3 cloves garlic, minced (.10)
2 pinches crushed red pepper flakes (.02)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (.20)
2 cans (28 oz each) crushed tomatoes (.98 each) If you want a chunkier sauce you can use a can of petite diced tomatoes to replace one of the cans of crushed.
Basil (.10)
Parsley (.05)
Oregano (.10)

Heat garlic and crushed red pepper in olive oil in a pot over medium heat. When the garlic speaks by sizzling in the oil, add tomatoes and herbs, to taste. Bring to a bubble, reduce heat, and let the sauce stand over low heat until you need it.

No comments: