Thursday, May 29, 2008

Fridge shopping

Nothing like opening the fridge in the morning to get your two year old a cup of milk and being hit in the face with a wall of warm, sour smelling air. Yup, our fridge is dead. My husband has been complaining for the last few days that the food isn't, well... cold. It's cool. But it's not cold. Our fridge used to freeze the top layer of the milk, and lately it's not even very cold. We put a thermostat inside and after a few hours of not opening the door it was 54 degrees in there. Not good. Serious tinkering by my husband didn't improve it even one degree.

One thing that I hate about this situation is that we need to buy a fridge today. I hate making big decisions on the fly. I want to hem and haw, discuss, turn it over, go back and look again, work every option until one choice stands shining above the rest. And to make it that much worse, my husband is working late. So it's up to me to make the final decision, alone. Yipes!

We talked briefly about having someone come out and look at it, but the fridge is 9 years old. And it wasn't an expensive fridge even back then. So it was a quick decision to buy new. The next discussion was about color. Stainless vs. Black. I wanted black and my husband wanted stainless. We talked about it a little bit. We each gave the reasons why we wanted our choice. I brought up the extra cost, he likes the style. We actually both convinced each other and by the end I wanted stainless and he wanted black. haha.

So yesterday we stopped by Lowes and Home Depot to take a look around. I was surprised that stainless isn't that much more expensive than black. A hundred dollars or two. But in the end we decided that we are going to buy a black side by side. I adore the french door with the bottom freezer but those are really expensive. The side by side is the most reasonably priced. We decided on black since we aren't replacing the dishwasher and oven right now, and I don't want to have to try to match the stainless later. I think it would drive me bonkers to have non matching stainless. So black it is!

After looking at them in person we went home and shopped online. Sears is having a pretty good sale for Memorial day (that ends today) so I'm going to head down there as soon as they open and see if it would be possible to pick one up today. I don't know how that is going to work since my husband won't be home til long after Sears closes, maybe I can convince them to deliver it for free. Hey, it's worth a shot right. I'll play the poor pitiful mother of two who just needs to keep some milk cold for her kids.

Pic by: Orfield Photography

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, that stinks!! Literally! LOL!

I am in agreement on the black side by side. It's what I have after all, which I am sure was the ultimate reason you chose it ;)

Good luck - I hope Sears will deliver it free for you!!

"Future Millionaire" said...

Sorry to hear you have to get a new fridge, but it sounds like you've done your research and have all the bases covered so I wouldn't worry too much.

Lynn - the piggy bank painter said...

Don't know if this will be any help, but lowes has free next day delivery. Plus they haul the old one out and install the new one. It's not exactly free, but you can send for a rebate reimbursing you for delivery costs.

I ordered a new upright freezer from lowe's last friday night at 10pm. They had it in my house and running at 10:30am saturday morning. I was really impressed. And the price was good too.

Good luck!